As a hobbyist and professional with years of experience in the field of information technology, I’m proud to offer my services as a tech consultant for you or your business.
If you would like more information on any of the services discussed below, or simply have a computer problem you need fixed, please contact me for a free consultation. Otherwise, read on.
I’ve been a computer hobbyist for just about as long as I can remember – from playing Rollercoaster Tycoon on my first Windows 98 box to building my first PC, a lifetime of tinkering and self-teaching has made me thoroughly computer-literate. (Read my Tech Bio for more info.) My credentials include:
- Six years of intern and professional experience with Microsoft Windows, incl. Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8/8.1 onward, and Windows Server 2003, 2008R2, and 2012R2
- Three years of Unix-like experience, incl. Debian GNU/Linux and derivatives, TurnKey Linux, Gentoo Linux, and Apple Mac OS X
- W3Schools self-certification in HTML, and experience with CMSs such as WordPress (Please see these examples of my work).
- 2+ years of experience with basic networking, incl. network equipment installation, basic troubleshooting, and wiring
- Applicable knowledge of Java and Lua
To put that in English, I’m “the computer guy” within my family and social circles.
The following is a non-exhaustive list of the services I offer.
Basic Computer Consulting
This includes stuff like:
- Virus Removal
- System Cleanup and Maintenance
- Software Installation and Configuration
- Hardware Installation, Maintenance, and Repair
- Data Backup, Recovery, and Migration
I offer basic computer consulting on-site, through pick-up and drop-off, over the phone, and through remote screen sharing. Contact me for a free consultation and detailed pricing information.
The IT world is infamous for lines like “shut up and let me fix it.” It’s all-too-common for users to be mocked and belittled for their lack of expertise with computers. I hate this on principle, and I try my best at all times to make myself understandable without patronizing or berating. If you’re interested in learning more about computers — anything from getting Outlook to work on your phone or installing Adblock in your browser to Linux bash commands or the finer points of network diagnostics, I’m happy to teach what I know. Due to the nature of the service, I only offer plain-English tutoring in person.
As I stated above, timsteele.com is designed and maintained completely and exclusively by (you guessed it) Tim Steele. The entire process, from hardware purchase and assembly, to operating system setup, to network configuration, and, finally, to web design was orchestrated by yours truly. All of the Web Services I offer are included in this as well. My web development services include the following:
- Web Design (typically done through a CMS like WordPress or Joomla)
- Server Software installation and configuration, incl. video game dedicated servers, LAMP, VoIP/Mumble/TeamSpeak, etc.
- Server Hardware purchase, assembly, installation, maintenance, and repair
- Remote Hosting in an enterprise-level data storage facility in Berkley, MI (offered through a partnership with RT Software Systems)
So, in short, anything from running IIS on an HP dl580g7 to setting up a Minecraft server on an old desktop is just a phone consultation away.
If you need something computer-y (for lack of a better term) done, contact me. If I don’t have the expertise, I have a long list of referrals I’m happy to make to get you what you need without getting ripped off. Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for your consideration.